Saturday, July 21

buttermilk blueberry breakfast cake

Our July has been flying by! I want to start sharing some recent recipe favs before I forget and life gets super busy again! A couple of Sunday's ago, it was our turn to bring breakfast for our Sunday School class. I wanted to do something a little different than the norm (donuts and chocolate milk). I remembered seeing a recipe on my sister-in-law's blog that looked soooo yummy. I was a bit nervous trying something out for the first time and taking it to an event... but I took a leap of faith, and I'm glad I did! Everyone absolutely loved it. I ended up using Tamara's recipe for the "cake" part. Then I found a very similar recipe that a dear friend (Jennifer Freeman) gave me that included a streusel for the top....so I went ahead and added that too :) YUM.

Buttermilk-Blueberry Breakfast Cake

(I always forget to take the picture until I've already cut into it!)
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
 zest from 1 large lemon
7/8 cup* + 1 tablespoon sugar**
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
½ cup buttermilk
* 7/8 cup = 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
** The 1 tablespoon is for sprinkling on top

Preheat the oven to 350.  Cream butter, 7/8 of the sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy.
Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.  Toss the blueberries in 1/4 cup of flour.  Whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the batter alternating with the buttermilk.  Fold in the blueberries.  This batter is THICK!  
Grease a 9 inch square pan with non-stick spray.  Spread into the pan and sprinkle with sugar.  

For the streusel- In another bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, and cut in 1/4 cup cold butter. Sprinkle over cake batter and bake it all at 375 for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.

ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment